It is Memorial Day and though most individuals are out of the workplace at present, I am within the workplace, as a result of this text is not going to write down itself and to be sincere, I do not suppose I might need it to, as a result of then I would not have a job. We do not want a e-newsletter writing itself. I imply, that is mainly the plot of Terminator 2. That is how Skynet begins.
Anyway, because it’s Memorial Day, certainly one of our writers determined to sit down down and do an interview with Patriots lengthy snapper Joe Cardona, who additionally occurs to be a lieutenant within the U.S. Naval Reserve. Throughout the interview, Cardona talked about why Memorial Day is vital and he additionally defined how militaristic issues can get when enjoying for Invoice Belichick. You are positively going to wish to learn that interview and you are able to do that by clicking right here.
We’ll even be speaking a few petition began by a Marine that is calling for the NFL to retire Pat Tillman’s jersey. In the present day’s e-newsletter may also characteristic all of the Julio Jones rumors you’ll be able to deal with, so let’s get to the rundown.
As all the time, this is your weekly reminder to inform all your pals to join the e-newsletter. To enroll, all you must do is click on right here after which share the hyperlink.
1. In the present day’s present: Bonus mailbag!
Throughout the NFL offseason, we prefer to spice issues up every week by including a listener mailbag each Friday and through the useless of the offseason — aka proper now — we’ll typically throw in a bonus mailbag.
Our mailbag episodes are fairly easy: We learn listener questions through the present after which reply as a lot of these questions as attainable. Questions may be about actually something. I imply, I feel we as soon as spent 10 minutes debating the most effective breakfast meals, which did not turn into a debate in any respect, as a result of the reply is French toast. Anyway, if you wish to submit a query, all you must do is go to Apple Podcasts (click on right here) and depart a five-star evaluation.
Here is a pattern of questions that we answered in at present’s mailbag:
Q: I do not perceive the hate with Jameis Winston. I would a lot relatively have Jameis than Kirk Cousins. For me, I would actually choose a QB with the onions to throw into tight home windows than all the time be protected. However that is simply me. Would like to know what you guys suppose. Thanks once more!
A: First, I would prefer to level out that this query got here from a Vikings fan, which tells you all it’s worthwhile to find out about Kirk Cousins’ reputation in Minnesota. You realize you are inching nearer to all-time low when the followers of your crew would relatively have Jameis Winston over you. If I am the Vikings, I would most likely choose Cousins, however there are a couple of groups the place I would take Winston over Cousins because of the offensive system in place and fittingly, the Saints are a type of groups the place I would take Jameis over Kirk. I truly like Jameis, but when my selection is 30 interceptions per 12 months or a quarterback who by no means takes dangers, I am most likely going with Possibility B.
Q: As a Carolina Panthers fan, I have been ready for extra illustration within the Professional Soccer Corridor of Fame and with a few of our latest high-profile gamers who’ve retired or are close to the top of their careers that is prone to be a actuality quickly. I am curious the way you’d estimate these gamers possibilities to get into the corridor and who — if any — can be first poll: Julius Peppers, Steve Smith, Luke Kuechly, Cam Newton, Thomas Davis, Greg Olsen.
A: As somebody who grew up cheering for the Bengals, I understand how this man feels. The Bengals have existed SINCE 1968 and so they solely have one Corridor of Famer (Anthony Munoz). As for the Panthers, they’ve solely existed since 1995, so it isn’t too shocking that they do not have a lot illustration within the Corridor (Kevin Greene is the one participant within the HOF who performed a number of seasons with the Panthers). As for who might get in quickly, I feel Peppers is a first-ballot Corridor of Famer and after that, I feel Steve Smith additionally will get in. Kuechly is borderline, however I feel he’ll finally additionally get in, so that will imply that the Panthers might have as many as three gamers in by the top of the last decade. That being mentioned, I don’t suppose that Newton, Davis or Olsen will find yourself getting in.
To take heed to the remainder of the mailbag — and to comply with the podcast — you’ll want to click on right here.
2. 4 new groups concerned in Julio Jones commerce rumors
We’ve not fairly reached the purpose the place EVERY SINGLE TEAM within the NFL has referred to as the Falcons a few potential Julio Jones commerce, however it appears like we’re getting shut. Final week, it was reported that the Patriots and Titans have been each within the Falcons receiver, and this week, we’ve 4 new groups so as to add to the listing.
- Seahawks: In accordance to ESPN, Russell Wilson has already spoken to Jones on the telephone about presumably enjoying in Seattle. The Seahawks are at present thought-about a severe contender for Jones’ companies and in the event that they’re in a position to land him in a commerce, Russell Wilson will most likely by no means complain about something ever once more.
- Eagles: Not solely are the Eagles apparently in Jones, however they may be capable to make the most effective supply. The Falcons are reportedly hoping to get a first-round decide in return for Jones, which will not be an issue for the Eagles, as a result of they’ve two first-round picks in 2022 and will even have yet another because of the conditional decide the Colts might be sending them within the Carson Wentz deal. In fact, buying and selling Jones to Philly would most likely be a final resort for the Falcons since Atlanta opens the season in opposition to the Eagles and so they most likely do not wish to see Jones that early.
- Ravens: The Ravens might positively use some receiving assist and it seems they’re maintaining a tally of the scenario in Atlanta. In accordance to ESPN, Baltimore is enthusiastic about Jones and can be “prepared to become involved on the proper value.”
- 49ers: Buying and selling for Jones would contain taking up his $15.3 million cap hit, which is notable, as a result of the 49ers are one of many only a few groups within the NFL that would take in that hit with out shuffling round any cap room. The 49ers are positively enthusiastic about Jones, however it’s not clear what they will be prepared to surrender to land him. The crew may not need commerce away a first-round decide after sending two of them to Miami within the Trey Lance deal.
This listing would have included 5 new groups, however it seems the Rams pulled themselves out of commerce talks over the weekend after initially displaying curiosity in Jones. That is most likely for the most effective because the Rams do not actually have any draft picks to supply the Falcons (The Rams have already traded away all their first-round picks till 2024).
Should you’re questioning who the chief within the clubhouse is for Jones, it seems to be the Titans. In keeping with Professional Soccer Speak, the widespread perception in “league circles” is that Jones will find yourself in Tennessee for a second-round decide. Let’s hope that occurs, as a result of then it is going to make me appear to be a genius. I mentioned again in April that the Titans appeared like probably the most logical touchdown spot and I nonetheless suppose that.
As for when a commerce would possibly occur, it might go down as quickly as this week. Because of the wage cap, the Falcons want to attend till post-June 1 to make a deal and June 1 is tomorrow. If Jones had been traded earlier than June 1, the Falcons would have needed to tackle a $23.25 million cap hit. Nevertheless, with the commerce now coming after June 1, they’ll unfold out the hit over two years with $7.75 million in 2021 and $15.5 million in 2022.
3. Vikings apparently tried to make blockbuster commerce through the NFL Draft
If Kirk Cousins was upset about the truth that the Vikings drafted a quarterback within the third-round this 12 months, simply wait till he finds out what the crew tried to do through the first spherical. Apparently, the Vikings tried to commerce UP from the 14th spot to the eight spot in a deal that will have gone down with the Panthers.
As a part of their Panthers Confidential collection, Carolina launched a video on Might 27 that gave viewers an inside have a look at the crew’s draft room. Probably the most notable a part of the video got here when the Vikings referred to as the Panthers whereas Carolina was on the clock within the first.
- The supply: The Vikings supplied their first (No. 14), a third-round decide (No. 90) and a fourth-round decide (No. 143) to maneuver up six spots to No. 8.
- Carolina’s response: The Panthers needed the Vikings to throw in a 2022 first-round decide, however Minnesota wasn’t prepared to do this so the Panthers mainly hung up the telephone on them.
- Vikings goal: In keeping with a number of reviews, the Vikings needed to maneuver as much as eight in order that they may draft Justin Fields.
After getting shot down by the Panthers, the Vikings ended up buying and selling down from 14th general to twenty third and drafting Christian Darrisaw. Two rounds later, they ended up deciding on Texas A&M quarterback Kellen Mond with the 66th general decide. Between going after Fields and drafting Mond, it appears fairly clear that the Vikings want to transfer on from Cousins after his contract expires following the 2022 season, if not sooner.
I am beginning to suppose that man who requested us the mailbag query about eliminating Cousins might need truly simply been a Mike Zimmer burner account.
4. Patrick Mahomes desires to go 20-0
Should you sat right down to make an inventory of all of the groups which have ever completed a daily season undefeated within the NFL, that listing would take you about 5 seconds, as a result of there’s solely been two groups ever: The 1972 Miami Dolphins and the 2007 New England Patriots.
Of these two, the Dolphins are the one ones that went on to win the Tremendous Bowl, which makes them the one crew in NFL historical past to complete with an ideal document (17-0). The dwelling members of that Dolphins crew have an annual custom of cracking open a bottle of champagne yearly after the ultimate undefeated crew loses its first sport.
Patrick Mahomes desires to finish that custom and that is as a result of he desires to go undefeated. After making it to the Tremendous Bowl two years in a row, Mahomes desires to do extra in 2021: He desires to go undefeated and WIN the Tremendous Bowl.
“The one document I’ve my eyes set on breaking, which might be new this 12 months, can be going 20-0,” Mahomes informed Bleacher Report over the weekend. “With the ability to go 20-0 and being the primary one to do this, that will be superior.”
If every other quarterback mentioned this, I might most likely snigger and say it is inconceivable, however I feel the Chiefs at the very least have a shot with Mahomes. Simply final 12 months, they went 14-1 in video games the place their starters performed (The Chiefs benched everybody of their season finale and misplaced, which is how they completed 14-2). On paper, this crew is a lot better than it was final season, so the thought of 17-0 is not utterly loopy.
Should you have a look at Kansas Metropolis’s schedule, the hardest video games are most likely in opposition to the Payments, Ravens and Browns (We cannot depend Inexperienced Bay since we do not know if Aaron Rodgers might be there). Mahomes is 2-0 all time in opposition to the Payments and has by no means misplaced to an AFC North crew (7-0) and what, I might need simply talked myself into this doubtlessly occurring.
5. Predicting the Giants’ remaining document for 2021
With the month of June proper across the nook, which means the useless a part of the NFL offseason is sort of upon us and though issues can get type of boring throughout that interval, we will preserve issues spicy round right here by going by way of and predicting each sport on every crew’s 2021 schedule.
There are 32 groups and we’ll be doing one crew per day till we make it by way of each crew. In the present day, we’re taking a better have a look at the Giants.
Our Cody Benjamin went by way of the Giants’ whole schedule and picked out all of the video games they are going to win and all of the video games they are going to lose. Though Benjamin is not predicting a playoff season for the Giants, he’s anticipating them to win extra video games than they did final 12 months once they completed 6-10.
Here is a have a look at how he sees the Giants doing in three key video games:
- Week 1: Broncos at Giants. “Denver opens the 12 months with out Aaron Rodgers, as an alternative letting Teddy Bridgewater take over beneath middle, however it’s the Broncos’ restocked secondary that clamps down on the Giants within the opener.” Prediction: Broncos 24-20 over Giants.
- Week 9: Raiders at Giants. “Saquon Barkley continues a sizzling stretch by approaching 200 yards on the bottom in opposition to the Vegas protection, and all Jones has to do is handle the remainder of the sport. Stress mounts on Jon Gruden and Derek Carr after one other loss.” Prediction: Giants 24-16 over Raiders.
- Week 15: Cowboys at Giants. “Within the thick of the wild card race, Joe Choose has the Giants fired up at residence, the place they path the Cowboys in expertise however overpower them with vitality. Daniel Jones and Dak Prescott go face to face once more, however this time, Jones will get the most effective of Dak as a late Kenny Golladay rating lifts New York.” Prediction: Giants 27-24 over Cowboys.
General, Benjamin is predicting that the Giants will finish the season with an 8-9 document, which does not sound too loopy. If they’ll flip simply certainly one of Cody’s predictions, that will put them at 9-8, which might possible put the in the course of the NFC playoff hunt.
If you wish to see Benjamin’s prediction for every sport, click on right here to take a look at his whole story. For tomorrow’s e-newsletter, we’ll be beginning off June by going by way of Washington’s schedule and making a prediction for every sport.
6. Petition requires NFL to retire Pat Tillman’s jersey quantity
Since at present is Memorial Day, it is clearly the right time to recollect one of many NFL’s most notable fallen army heroes and that is Pat Tillman.
Just a few months after the Sept. 11 assaults, Tillman determined he was going to place his four-year NFL profession on maintain in order that he might be part of the Military and that is precisely what he did in Might 2002. Tillman’s army service, which included changing into an Military Ranger, included excursions in Iraq and Afghanistan.
After spending practically two years within the army, Tillman was tragically killed by pleasant fireplace in an incident that happened on April 22, 2004.
With the 20-year anniversary of 9/11 proper across the nook, one former marine believes now can be the right time for the NFL to retire Tillman’s No. 40 jersey throughout the league. That Marine, Sean Wilson, has began a petition and he already has practically 40,000 signatures after lower than every week.
From the petition:
“It’s my aim to have the NFL retire Pat Tillman’s jersey No. 40 league extensive in honor of the twentieth anniversary of 09-11-2001 and Pat Tillman’s final sacrifice he made on account of this present day,” the petition states. “They are saying ‘a person shouldn’t be useless whereas his identify continues to be spoken.’ It’s my hope that for the remainder of time, anytime an unknown individual enters an NFL stadium, they’ll see TILLMAN 40 hanging from the rafters and his story should be informed and his identify will proceed to be spoken.”
Tillman’s quantity has been retired by the Cardinals and Wilson desires to see it retired throughout the NFL. In contrast to baseball, which retired Jackie Robinson’s quantity, there isn’t any quantity that is retired throughout the NFL. One motive it does not occur is as a result of there are 65 gamers (53 lively roster and 12 follow squad) and solely 99 numbers out there, which might create a quantity crunch.
That being mentioned, retiring Tillman’s quantity would not be that troublesome. For one, 5 totally different groups have already retired No. 40 for different gamers (Cardinals, Bears, Patriots, Giants, Eagles), so this is able to solely contain 27 extra groups getting on board.
Tillman’s NFL profession began in 1998 after the Cardinals made him a seventh-round decide. Most gamers do not even crack the roster once they’re picked that low, however not solely did Tillman make the crew, he grew to become a starter. In his 4 seasons with the Cardinals, Tillman performed in 60 video games and began in 39 of these.